Saltspray Rig appears to be an ocean-based oil rig, with pipes, crates, and suspended platforms resting over a large body of water. It is shaped somewhat like a squid, with two Respawn Points leading into a series of pathways and drop-offs. There are two elevators located in the middle of the map to quickly move from the Bottom Area to the Top Area. Pathways stemming from each Respawn Point cannot be accessed by the other team, and branch off into smaller trails that lead to the Top Area and Bottom Area.
Saltspray Rig's total area is 1900p.
- Top Area - The Top Area is located opposite from the teams' Respawn Points. It is normally the last area to be claimed, due to its distance from the spawn points. It features a tall structure in the middle, which is heavily contested in the later parts of the game, in order to claim the surrounding turf. There is also a moving platform that a player can use to claim turf quickly, but in turn, exposes the player, as the player will fall through the platform if they turn into a squid. Because it is difficult to get to, the team who controls it by the end of the match has a much better chance of winning due to its large amount of inkable ground.
- Bottom Area - The Bottom Area is located between the team's Respawn Points. It is often the first area that is claimed, but is typically forgotten towards the end of the game, due to the battle shifting towards the Top Area. In the last minute, it is easily claimable.
- Starting Areas - The Starting Areas in Saltspray Rig cannot be reached on foot by the opposing team, so there's a lot of turf that can be easily claimed during the game. A team with a charger, though, may be able to claim some turf if the opposing team is not paying attention. Both areas contain paths leading to the Bottom Area and Top Area. If a team is not careful, the opposing team may launch an Inkstrike in the area near the end of a battle, claiming some turf which the players cannot claim after leaving their Starting Area. The only way a player can get back up their team's Starting Area is to Super Jump to their team's respective spawn or to one of their teammates.
- Splat Zones - The Splat Zone in this map is located right before the Top Area, where the two opposing teams' paths converge. It can be easily taken by players shooting ink on ledges on the opposing sides, but if the front of the zone is not protected, the opposing team can easily take control of the zone.
- Tower Control - The tower is located on the top middle of the map The tower will go down to the rival side and go to the finish which is under the rival spawn point.
- Rainmaker - The Rainmaker is located up the ramps in front of the entrance to the top area. The Rainmaker must be taken to the lower pathways and up one of two new walls to a pillar on some platforms directly next to the rival Respawn Point.
- Chasms - Saltspray Rig's high and low areas are separated by large chasms. Falling into a chasm will kill Inklings.
- Saltspray Rig was one of the two playable maps during the Splatoon Global Testfire, alongside Walleye Warehouse.
- Saltspray Rig is also used for Stage 26: Octoling Onslaught ~Rumble at the Rig~ in Hero Mode.
- In old Saltspray Rig's Tower Control mode, the tower tracks were shorter and only located on the center hallway, it had been modified to the top middle area since the August Update.
Names in other languages
|Rip Current Oil Field|
|French (NA)||Plate-forme Mouette||Seagull Rig|
|German||Bohrinsel Nautilus||Nautilus Rig|