|“||Don't get cooked... Stay off the hook!||”|
— Pearl and Marina, catchphrase
Off the Hook, known in Japan as Tentacles (テンタクルズ Tentakuruzu), is an idol duo serving as a replacement for the Squid Sisters in Splatoon 2 as the hosts of Inkopolis News in their studio within Inkopolis Square.
Pearl is an Inkling with shoulder-length white hair with dyed pink tips. She also wears a white crown on her head that is pink at the tips. Her eyes are connected like most Inklings, and they have a golden color. She wears black finger-less gloves and has a white sleeveless dress with a golden zipper that is pulled all the way up. Pearl also has pink tights and white boots that, like her dress, have zippers that are pulled up. She also holds a microphone while singing. Pearl resembles a "pop princess" stereotype.
Marina's hair looks identical to most Octolings, but it is black like an Elite Octoling's hair instead of the usual red of a standard Octoling. Her hair is also worn down and dyed a light teal color at the edges. Like most Octolings, her eyes do not connect in the same way that Inklings' eyes do, but hers are a silvery color as opposed to green as well as eyelashes. Marina also wears a pair of teal headphones on her head. She has a short black sleeveless vest revealing her midriff, with the silverzipper pulled most of the way down and black low-rise shorts. She wears teal tights under her shorts and has black boots that, like her vest, have their silver zippers pulled down.
Personality and traits
Pearl speaks rather bluntly using various slang words, matching a stereotypical rapper, as she appears to be. Compared to Marina, she is a lot more expressive and quick to jump onto topics with a bit of short temptations. Oftentimes her comments can be playfully sarcastic playing off her co-host.
Marina is more reserved than Pearl. She constantly looks nervous and speaks in a calmer manner. However, she still questions her whilst leaving their introduction vague and gets excited upon hearing about the first Splatfest. Even though, she seems to be pretty forgetful about the news when they're supposed to be broadcasting sometimes.
Pearl and Marina also have a friendly rivalry with the Squid Sisters, whom they are fans of.
- Their group's name, "Off The Hook", is an idiom that is another way to say "trendy" or "fashionable", like "fresh".
- Pearl takes her Japanese name from the Northern pygmy squid (ヒメイカ Hime-ika), while Marina takes her own from the webfoot octopus (イイダコ Īdako).
- Pearl and Marina have some similarities with the Squid Sisters:
- Pearl shares Callie's magenta-colored scheme on her clothing.
- Marina shares Marie's teal or green and black-colored scheme on her clothing and hair. Her name, "Marina", sounds similar to "Marie".
- Their catchphrase, "Don't get cooked ... stay off the hook!" is similar to the Squid Sisters' catchphrase, "Staaaaay fresh!"
- Pearl and Marina's English names are possibly a pun on Pearl Harbor, as Marina's name is a synonym for harbor.
- Pearl and Marina seem to be fans of the Squid Sisters, as Pearl was shocked upon hearing the news about Callie's disappearance, and she and her friend also hoped that the Squid Sisters will return.
- In Sunken Scroll #2, revealed that Marina and some Octarians were at the final boss battle of Splatoon and thought that it was a concert.
- In the Italian version, their names are changed to Alga and Nori, as a reference to "nori seaweed" in Italian.
- The duo is called "Tenta Cool" in the Italian version.
- Marina's name is Marie's name in the Italian version.