The Octarians, are a species of octopus creatures who are the main antagonists and enemies in Hero Mode of the Splatoon Series. They reside in Octo Valley and are responsible for stealing the Zapfish from Inkopolis. Their ink color is a dark shade of magenta, a color not available in the online mode.
Octarians usually resemble tentacles rather than full octopuses. They are red and cream colored, with their suckers present on the red side of their bodies, googly yellow eyes, purple lips, and tiny legs in black boots. They come in a variety of forms, and the line is often blurry when it comes to what is an Octarian and what is mechanical, suggesting they may use some manner of biotechnology.
The Sunken Scrolls suggest the Inklings and Octarians were not always enemies, but rising sea levels forced them to compete for remaining territory, eventually culminating in The Great Turf Wars. The Octarians initially won through use of their Great Octoweapons, and the fact that they were able to get up earlier than the Inklings. However, the Inklings rebounded when a plug was "carelessly pulled from its socket" and the weapons were deactivated. The Inklings believe they were able to win due to their superior number of limbs.
Sometime afterwards, the Octarians built themselves underground dwellings in the form of a series of spheres connected by kettles. This area became known as Octo Valley. However, as their domes began to deteriorate and electrical power became scarce, the Octarians turned their sights to the Inklings aboveground and their Zapfish as a source of power. The player character's mission in the Hero Modes of the two games is to quell the takeovers and return the stolen Zapfish to the surface.
Sanitized versions of themselves appear in Octo Expansion, where they fight against a certain Octoling, Agent 8.
- DJ Octavio (Leader)
Bosses of Hero Mode (Splatoon 2)
- Marina (Octoling, member of Off the Hook, and show host with Pearl)
- Agent 8 (Octoling)
- The Bass of Chirpy Chips (Octoling)
- Dedf1sh (Sanitized Octoling)
Types of Octarians
All Octarians encountered in Hero Mode serve in the Octopus army, where they are classified by body type, combat role, and skill:
- Twintacle Octotrooper
* Exclusive to Splatoon ** Exclusive to Splatoon 2
"Sanitized" versions of themselves appear in the Subway under Inkopolis, and they appear to be green instead of red and white.
In addition to the Octarians themselves, the octopus army is also supplemented by robots:
The Great Octoweapons
The Great Octoweapons are a set of five immensely powerful war machines developed by the Octopus Army at the height of the Great Turf War, and were thought to be destroyed by the Squidbeak Splatoon. Rebuilt secretly by the Octopus Army, they serve as the bosses of each zone in Octo Valley.
Hero Mode (Splatoon)
- The Mighty Octostomp
- The Dreaded Octonozzle
- The Rampaging Octowhirl
- The Ravenous Octomaw
- The Octobot King
Hero Mode (Splatoon 2)
- The fact that most Octarian units are just sentient tentacles may be based on studies that conclude real life octopus tentacles can think individually to a degree.
- In any boss battle, if you linger too long, you can hear moaning, screaming, and a train derailing, which is proof that Octarian civilization is literally falling apart.Although Octolings leave behind a purple octopus-like "ghost" after they get splatted, the Octo Samurai leaves behind a "ghost" of his own as well, suggesting that Octarians in general (not just the Octolings) are similar or related to Inklings.
- When any Octarian sees you, you can hear the music change.
- According to the tentacle mem cake, Agent 8 exhibits fear about the tentacles, relating to how it might be tied to their fate. This is likely because the Octoweapons are created when Octolings are turned into tenacles and then stuffed into a machine body, breathing life into it.