In Splatoon, there was Downloadable Content (DLC) for the game including new stages, new equipment, and new gamemodes. however, these were made into non-DLC stages and the idea was scrapped.
Available DLC Stages
|Port Mackerel||June 1, 2015|
|Kelp Dome||June 10, 2015|
|Bluefin Depot||June 19, 2015|
|Moray Towers||July 10, 2015|
|Camp Triggerfish||July 24, 2015|
|August 6, 2015|
|Flounder Heights||August 20, 2015|
|Hammerhead Bridge||September 18, 2015|
Available DLC Weapons
Upcoming DLC Weapons
|Slosher Deco||Slosher||Splash Wall||Kraken||TBA|
|Zink Mini Splatling||Splatling||Disruptor||Bubbler||TBA|
|Hydra Splatling||Splatling||Splat Bomb||Echolocator||TBA|
|Custom Hydra Splatling||Splatling||Bubbler||Sprinkler||TBA|
|Neo Sploosh-o-matic||Shooter||Point Sensor||Kraken||TBA|
|Rapid Blaster Pro Deco||Shooter||Disruptor||Killer Wail||TBA|
|Octobrush Nouveau||Roller||Splat Bomb||Inkzooka||TBA|
|Bamboozler 14 MK II||Charger||Disruptor||Echolocator||TBA|
- Ranked Battle, released on June 1, 2015
- Private Battle, released on August 6, 2015
- Squad Battle, released on August 6, 2015
August Big Update
On August 5, 2015 (NA)/August 6, 2015 (AU/EU), a huge matchmaking update was released. The following is part of the update:
- Private Battle – Players are able to create custom online or LAN lobbies of 2–8 players and choose the stage and the mode that will be used.
- Squad Battle – Players are able to form squads of friends and play online Ranked Battles with other squads.
- Level cap increase – New cap is Level 50 (from Level 20).
- Two new Ranks – S and S+ (both higher than A+, the previous max Rank).
- Change in the calculation method for Rank Points based on the results in Ranked Battle.
- Users will be sent back to the Battle Lobby when their ranks change in Ranked Battle.
- Splatfest winning percentage will be multiplied by 4 rather than 2.
- Stage changes
- Urchin Underpass – Overall layout has been adjusted in all modes.
- Saltspray Rig – Adjusted layout in Tower Control.
- Arowana Mall – Adjusted layout in Splat Zones and Tower Control.
- Kelp Dome – Adjusted layout in Splat Zones and Tower Control.
- Moray Towers – Adjusted layout in Splat Zones and Tower Control.
- Special Weapon/Special Gauge changes.
- Minor adjustments/corrections.
- Slosher weapon type – Bucket-like weapons that hurl ink straight ahead with a high range.
- Splatling weapon type - Gatling-type weapons capable of firing many small blasts of ink at once in rapid succession after being charged up.
- Over 40 new pieces of gear, including:
- Sushi-chef costume (Famitsu Squid Fashion Contest)
- Splatoon x Squid Girl crossover gear
- New music from new bands, Hightide Era and The Chirpy Chips
Nintendo has stated that the August update is not the end of the free content coming to Splatoon, and that more content will continually roll out through the rest of the summer and into autumn.
Squid Girl DLC
Along with the big update a Splatoon x Squid Girl crossover DLC has released. Revealed on Masahiro Anbe's official Twitter, the DLC is to feature costumes, from the manga/anime. Official art was also released with the tweet, and the following issue of Weekly Shōnen Champion also featured an ad to further confirm the crossover. The DLC is confirmed to come to other countries.
Famitsu Squid Fashion Contest
In their May 20th issue, Famitsu offered a Splatoon costume design submission contest, with the winning entry being added to the game. The selected winner was The Festival Octopus Chef. The DLC will be added alongside the big update and Squid Girl DLC.